Long winter nights call for a hearty, wholesome vegetable soup!
Even if you’re a big meat-eater (like my family!), you won’t be able to deny how satisfying this hearty vegetable soup is! Made with carrots, celery, leeks, potatoes and cabbage, the flavor comes from the spices (like fresh thyme, rosemary and parsley) and from the fresh onion and crushed garlic. The tomatoes give this soup a rich color and add some body to the vegetable broth. This vegetable soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold, dark winter night!
This recipe calls for mostly fresh veggies and fresh herbs and spices. It’s my opinion that fresh veggies and herbs just taste, well, fresher! All those healthful nutrients, minerals and vitamins are that much stronger in fresh veggies, and the flavor tends to be much stronger. If you are using fresh tomatoes in this recipe, there’s just one trick I’ll pass along. When you add the tomatoes to the soup, let them sit on top of the other veggies for a minute or two, until they heat up and their skins start to blister. This will allow the skins to peel away easily. Once the skins slip off, stir the skinned tomatoes into the soup! If you’re using canned tomatoes, you can skip this step. Simply add ’em to the soup and stir well!
I love this recipe because it’s so open to interpretation. Have a fridge full of fresh veggies you need to use up? Throw ’em in the pot! Same goes for fresh herbs and spices. You can easily adapt this recipe for whatever vegetables, herbs and spices are in season, or whatever you’re craving that day. Swap the potatoes for yams or sweet potatoes. Add in fresh corn, or rutabagas. Dress up the top of your soup with a hand full of breadcrumbs, or a pinch of shredded cheese. I like to serve up this Slow Cook Vegetable Soup with a generous hunk of crusty bread. There’s no wrong way to cook – or enjoy! – this hearty vegetable soup!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Leeks, sliced
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 4 Medium Carrots, sliced
- 1 Cup Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 3 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 16 oz Tomatoes
- 1 dash Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, leeks, celery, and garlic for 5 mins.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and potatoes and stir well, then add in the herbs.
- Cover with vegetable stock and simmer, with the lid on, for approximately 1 hour. Stir occasionally, and add more liquid if necessary.
- Serve as is, or if desired you may puree the soup with a stick blender until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Recipe Note: If you’re using fresh tomatoes, sit them on top of the veggies for a minute or two, until their skins peel away easily. Then stir the skinned tomatoes into the soup. If you're using canned tomatoes, just add to the soup and stir well.