Kids of all ages – from 2 to 92 – can’t resist a steaming mug of hot chocolate loaded up with marshmallows and a mountain of whipped cream!
Nothing hits the spot or brings the holiday cheer like a mug of hot cocoa. When you have a hot cocoa mix (like the Mama June’s Hot Chocolate Mix featured in my Winter Southern Treats Box, making the perfect mug of cocoa is pretty easy. While some folks just use plain ‘ol tap water to make their hot chocolate, I like to use milk for a richer, creamier taste! I always use 2% or whole milk, but you can easily make this recipe vegan by substituting cow’s milk for your favorite nut or grain milk!
The real magic of hot chocolate comes with the toppings! This is not the time to be stingy, y’all! Create a generous mound of whipped cream on top. You can either use store-bought ready-made whipped cream, or make your own by whisking 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar together until the cream reaches stiff peaks. Next, you can’t forget the marshmallows! My personal recommendation is a few gourmet Sugar Cookie Marshmallows from Wondermade. These marshmallows were actually featured in my Winter Southern Treats Box as well – pretty clever, eh?
Last but not least, garnish your hot cocoa with some sweets. An obvious pick for the holiday season? Mini candy canes, of course! Dust your whipped cream dome with some crushed candy cane bits, and don’t forget to hang a whole mini candy cane off the lip of your mug. Cheers!
Want more exclusive Mama June recipes? Check these out:
- 12 oz Milk
- 1 Package Mama June's Hot Chocolate Mix
- 3 Mini Candy Canes (for garnish)
- 1 Dollop Whipped Cream (for garnish)
- 1-3 Wondermade Sugar Cookies Marshmallows
- Heat your milk of choice in a small saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon to prevent burning.
- Once your milk is steaming, remove from the heat and pour into a 12 oz mug.
- Stir in one packet of Mama June's Hot Chocolate Mix.
- Top with whipped cream and marshmallows. Garnish with crushed candy cane and whole mini candy canes. Enjoy!