Nothin’ warms your soul like a hot glass of Mama June’s Holiday Spiced Mulled Wine! Every winter I make a big ol’ mason jar of this mulled spice mix to have on hand. With my spices already measured out, I can easily whip up a mug of mulled wine any night of the week! This blend of spice always makes me think of the holidays. Even if its far from snowin’ outside, this blend will bring the feeling of a winter wonderland!
To make my mulled spice mix, you’ll need: whole coriander seeds, whole allspice, whole cloves, whole anise seeds, dried mint, whole cinnamon sticks, dried orange peel and whole star anise. Mix up all your spices, and keep them in a tightly sealed container. Throw this mix in your pantry so you’ll always be ready to make some Holiday Spice Mulled Wine. Lookin for a homemade hostess gift or stocking stuffer? A jar of my Holiday Mulled Spice Mix does the trick!
To make the perfect mug of mulled wine, simply add one tablespoon of mulled spice mix, the maple syrup and the orange slices to a medium saucepan. Cover the mixture with water (about a cup). Bring the mixture to a boil. Next, reduce the heat and allow the mixture to stay at a rolling simmer for about 10 minutes. Your mixture should reduce, and almost all the water should be evaporated. Add your bottle of red wine and reduce the heat to low. Let your wine warm through for approximately 5 minutes. Once the wine is warmed, strain the mulled wine with a fine mesh sieve and serve immediately!
For some extra flair, garnish your mugs of Holiday Spice Mulled Wine with a whole cinnamon stick and a slice or fresh lemon or orange. Cheers!
Want more exclusive Mama June recipes? Check these out:
- 1/2 Cup Whole Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Whole Allspice
- 1/4 Cup Whole Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Whole Anise Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Dried Mint Leaves
- 1/2 Cup 3" Cinnamon Sticks (whole)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Orange Peel
- 1/4 Cup Whole Star Anise (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Slices of Orange (with peel)
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine
- To make the Mulled Spice Mix, simply mix together the first 8 ingredients. Keep in a tightly sealed container to have on hand, ready to make a delicious mulled wine!
- To make Mama June's Holiday Spiced Mulled Wine, add the spice mix, along with the maple syrup and slices of orange to a saucepan (medium size) and cover with water (about 1 cup).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a rolling simmer for approximately 10 minutes, until all mixture has reduced and all water is almost evaporated.
- Add the wine and reduce the heat to low, allowing the wine to warm through for approximately 5 minutes.
- Strain the mulled wine and serve immediately. Serve with orange slices and cinnamon sticks for a festive garnish.