Y’all ready for a fish fry? My Georgia Pecan & Fresh Herb-Crusted Trout fillets are a celebration of fresh, modern Southern cooking at it’s finest!
I can still remember when I was a little girl, goin’ out trout fishin’ with the boys in my neighborhood! We never did catch much of anything (there was mostly just mud in those streams) but it was a whole lot of fun. Now that I’m grown, I don’t have much time for trout fishin’, but I still enjoy a good trout dinner! My Georgia Pecan & Fresh Herb-Crusted Trout recipe calls for panko crumbs, to give the trout fillets a light, craveable crunch. Panko and seafood just go hand in hand, but if you have some herbed breadcrumbs layin’ around that you’re rarin’ to use, go ahead! They’ll add just as much crunch and bite.
While many folks use dried herbs and spices for their fish fries, I like to use fresh herbs. My recipe calls for parsley, tarragon, thyme and chives to give my fish some depth of flavor. Sure, it takes a little more washin’ and choppin’ to use fresh herbs and spices, but after one taste I bet you’ll agree its worth it!
Fresh Georgia pecans are the star of this recipe. I guess you could say I just have a soft spot for these classic Southern nuts! It’s important to get a really good, even, fine chop. I recommend using a food processor, which will cut your prep time in half. Of course, if you don’t have a food processor, just take your time and use a very sharp knife.
Once your Georgia Pecan & Fresh Herb-Crusted Trout fillets are cooked up golden brown, serve ’em up hot with a vegetable dish or side salad. I also like to put a couple slices of fresh lemon on the plate, to squeeze over the fish!
- 4 Trout Fillets, boneless and skinless
- 1 Pinch Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ Cup Panko Crumbs, (or regular breadcrumbs)
- ½ Cup Pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Chives, chopped
- 2 tsp Butter
- Season the trout fillets with a little salt and pepper on each side.
- With a spatula, gently and evenly coat the trout fillets with mustard.
- In a small bowl combine the finely chopped pecans, panko crumbs and all of the herbs together. Carefully coat the trout fillets in the crumb mixture.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the butter begins to lightly brown. Add the fish to the pan and cook approximately 2 minutes on each side, or until the fish is cooked through and flakes with a fork.
- Serve with your choice of side. Enjoy!