Didn’t your mama always tell you to eat your vegetables? Well with a double-helping of my delicious Fresh Winter Vegetable Salad, you’ll be making’ mama proud!
Many people don’t think of the winter as the best season for salads. After all, most traditional salad greens are out of season, and many of the fruits and summery vegetables just aren’t available. Well, that’s where Mama June’s Crispy Crunchy Winter Vegetable Salad comes in! This salad makes cold-weather veggies the star of the show. By leaving ’em raw, with just a light dressing and some parmesan cheese, these veggies can really shine!
My favorite part about this salad is the texture. After all, its not called “Crispy, Crunchy Winter Vegetable Salad” for no reason! Hearty kale and crisp Brussel sprouts are the base of this winter veggie salad, while toasted almond and thinly-sliced scallions bring the crunch.
This winter vegetable salad makes a delicious starter or side dish to accompany a heavy cold-weather dinner. Or you can make it this salad an entree by adding lean grilled chicken-breast or fresh poached salmon on top! Eating your veggies has never been so easy, and delicious!
- 1 Large Bunch Fresh Kale
- 10 Oz Brussel Sprouts
- 1/3 Cup Scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/3 Cup Shaved Parmesan
- 1/2 Cup Plain Low Fat Yogurt
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Remove the stems from kale and discard. Wash the leaves and pat dry on paper towels. Chop kale into bitesize pieces, and toss into a large salad bowl.
- Trim the ends of the Brussel sprouts. Remove the tougher outer leaves and discard. Finely shred the Brussel sprouts and add them to the bowl along with the sliced scallions, toasted almond slivers and parmesan cheese.
- To make the dressing, combine the yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper & vinegar in a small bowl and stir well. Drizzle over the salad and toss well together.