Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, y’all! So start of your morning (or afternoon – hey, no judgements!) off right with my Better-Than-Brunch Bacon Potato & Chard Egg Pie!
My Better-Than-Brunch Bacon Potato & Chard Egg Pie is chock-full of fresh, healthful veggies like chard, onion, garlic, parsley and potatoes. The flavor comes from the 2 3/4 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and of course from that 1/2 pound of bacon! This pie calls for 8 whole large eggs. That’s a whole lotta eggs! Eggs are naturally almost pure protein. Eggs make up the bulk of this dish, making my Better-Than-Brunch Bacon Potato & Chard Egg Pie a fabulous source of protein.
If you’ve never cooked with chard before, now is a great time to get familiar with this healthful vegetable! Chard, or Swiss Chard, is a dark green, super nutrient-dense leafy vegetable. Low in calories, chard is a great source of calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, sodium, phosphorus and vitamins A, C, E and K. Swiss Chard is full of antioxidants and fiber, making it a perfect choice for health conscious folks!
My Better-Than-Brunch Bacon Potato & Chard Egg Pie is just as delicious as a full-size egg pie as it is as individual, mini egg pies. To make a full size egg pie, grease a full size quiche dish like this one from Target. If you don’t have a quiche dish, a regular pie dish or a round baking dish will do just fine! The full size egg pie bakes for 45 minutes. A fully done, perfectly cooked egg pie will be set in the center. When you stick a knife into the center of the pie, it should come out completely clean! If you’re baking your egg pies individually, grab a few ramekins like these! The individual-sized ramekin pies will bake much quicker – in about 20 to 30 minutes!
- 1/2 lb Bacon, diced
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Bunch Chard
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 lb Russet Potatoes, peeled and grated
- 2 ¾ Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 1 Dash Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large quiche dish or 6 to 8 individual ramekins.
- Wash the chard, and remove and discard the stems. Chop the leaves.
- Sauté the bacon, chard, garlic and onion until soft. Drain on a paper towel.
- Whisk eggs with potatoes, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir in bacon and vegetable mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan or ramekins, spreading the mixture evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the center is set or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Bake 20 to 30 minutes for individual ramekins.